Saturday, April 24, 2010

Kent Monkman: The Triumph of Mischief


I went to the Glenbow with Travis and Jen the other day and viewed the Kent Monkman Exhibition. I really enjoyed it! It's really ... funny, actually. I was laughing out loud and people were looking at me...but I'm pretty sure my response was valid. He painted these epic landscapes and inserted himself in drag surrounded by half naked (or fully naked) cowboys and Satires with erections. It was awesome! I find it's helpful to go and look at art in my off time. It generates ideas about my own practice.

Speaking of my own practice....it's non-existent at the moment. I haven't made anything and haven't really wanted to. I really need to learn consistency. Fashion week was a real push through to the end and now I just feel like doing yoga and drinking coffee.

Do you ever have doubts that you're on the wrong path? I do sometimes. I know I'm good at what I do and I do enjoy it, but I think back to the time when I was in acting and how much I loved it- in high school and college. I was doing really well...and then I got into acad and haven't really acted since. I suppose this is the affliction of a creative person. I want to do everything. all of the time. Why can't I be an actor, a dancer, a yoga practitioner, a clothing designer and film stylist all at the same time?
I shall do nothing instead. That seems to be what I have been doing.

I need a business manager.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Muffin, it was great fun going to the Kend Monkman exhibit with you- it was meant to be giggled at.

    I agree, you need to be skilled and happy with fewer things ha-ha. STOP BEING SO TALENTED!

    xoxoxoxo Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know exactly what your talking about. Fire dancing, poetry and painting...I just can't focus! Your clothes are sooo beautiful and unique tho, it really must be your calling!
    marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. At least you're actually a teacher Marie. You can teach all of your wonderful skills to people.

    ReplyDelete